Sunday, April 08, 2007

trial by fire: a return to the mentors



Etant donnés, marcel duchamp

After struggling to represent the fence panels in my site model properly, it was recommended that I return to my mentors from the past two semesters; namely duChamp, the Brothers Quay, Roussell, Artaud, and various illustrations of mechanized, grotesques, and theatres from the 16-18th centuries.


DuChamp's Etant Donnes is a pretty significant precent to this project - I've purchased a door spy-hole that will be used to determine the views into the space that will be created. The spy-holes distort the perspective beautifully, and provide a very specific field of view that will be useful in arranging the space. The image of DuChamp's work above is an example of the type of strange and absurdest imagery that I am hoping to develop through my narratives of Sheldon Blank.

image name unknown, the brothers quay


I chose this image from the works of the Brothers Quay to demonstrate the blurring of scale and image that I'd like to achieve. I was looking at the way that the brothers use material in their projects - miniature representations are incredibly delicate and interesting, and I have decided to move away from the white representative model that I was headed for (which really makes no sense in the context of previous work) and return to the grotesque and baroque.


The following three images are taken from "Pruned" blog, and are wonderfully illustrated images of old, strange mechanisms. They are incredibly detailed, yet wonderfully simple representations of machinery. I hope to look towards these methods of illustration to influence not only the drawing of the mechanisms in the site, but also to influence the aesthetic nature of the components within the site. It is also possible that I will use some of these images, alongside some of the mechanisms that were found on-site, to create the collage/perceptual imagery of this project.


theatrum mechanarium, taken from pruned blog




theatrum mechanarium, taken from pruned blog




theatrum mechanarium, taken from pruned blog



laser cutting, and progress to date

Because so much of what I have been working on to date is by trial, (ie: I'm working on my third iteration of the fence that is to surround the site), there hasn't been much to post to date. I'm hoping that three's a charm, and so there should be sufficient material to post once the new fence gets up and running. Due to the size of the model, photographing it properly between stages is time consuming and difficult - ultimately not high on my list of priorities right now.

The following are sample images of laser cutting work that I have been working on.
These are some of the supports that I am developing to house the door spy-holes that I've purchased to denote the viewports into the site. Right now they're in development, but the shapes of the outlines are to simulate the act of looking through these specific spaces in the site. The spy-hole is a cheap version of what one finds in a door, to see who is on the other side.
The fence panels are being cut out of thin bass wood - the first iterations were cut from plywood, and then from card. The ply was too thick for the scale of the project, and the card had material limitations in that it was not able to properly simulate the wood and the desired effect of the fence.
(to come:)
The fence panels have been held in place by a jig that was created by modeling the site in 3D: the jig ensures that the warped wood and the angles of distortion are properly maintained in the model.


My current goal is to simulate the trees and natural surroundings of the site, while keeping within the realm of the grotesque, and maintaining the aesthetic that has been established through the work this year. The above is an image traced from a 15th century tree image - I'm considering using the same acetone transfer method that I started developing to age the fence panels, to transfer the texture to the paper. Whether or not it works remains to be seen.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home